3:24 am
graysmama
LOLCat
Meows: 82
Snarking Since:
November 16, 2012

Canadian Bacon said
Ok. I feel so much better that someone has said it:

"If my dad ever said anything like that, I would seriously never let him be alone with my daughter." 

I've always had such a bad feeling about him, but I assumed it was because I was abused as a child and so I'm a bit paranoid…..

Not suggesting that he's a pedophile, just not quite…right.

No it's not just you. I was not abused as a child and have a normal, healthy relationship with my mom and dad as an adult and there is something very creepy and off about Poppa. He just makes me uncomfortable.  It's not just his bizarre instagram and photoshopped Hampton pictures. Or his bedazzled birth shirt. For me, why is this man so invested in his grown daughter's blog that he has built his own fan club off of it? The people commenting on his instagram would have no idea who he is if it wasn't for Kelle.

February 27, 2013
4:47 am
Lady Snarksalot
Kitten
Meows: 4
Snarking Since:
December 13, 2012

igabsalot said

So sad and true. The gay men I know his age would kick his ass for being such a skeezy freak. That includes my own uncle and a dear friend who was married in a straight relationship for many years before coming out. They would have a field day with Rik. Honestly, he is so desperate for attention, to the point that he makes Kelle look humble, and that is always a huge red flag for me. Kelle has to get his unfiltered nonsense under control, stat! He isn't mildly humorous or slightly inappropriate anymore.

I bolded the sections that really stood out for me. Before, he would say stuff and readers would think, Oh that Crazy Poppa! But now it's just inappropriate, skeevy, and downright weird. He makes Kelle seem self-aware and modest, which says very little about him. She seems a bit embarrassed by him lately – her comments on his "doggie Oscar pic" (which I actually found pretty funny) seemed very OMG Dad, SO emBARRASSED! Which she should be, he is riding her coat tails to fame. He has changed his writing style too – he was flowery before but once Nella was born the Poppa Poetry started coming out. Before it was just generic, she is so sweet, love ya! and some flowery platitudes but now it's like he swallowed a thesaurus and Poetry for Dummies.

ShabbyChicChick – I think calling Poppa a paedophile is taking it a bit too far. I agree that he is skeevy and weird but I don't think he is a straight up paedophile. Jumping to that conclusion only reiterates what I said above about many people equating middle-aged gay men with paedophiles.

fairybread – I think she came down for a teaching job, met Brett and stayed.

February 27, 2013
6:47 am
Canadian Bacon
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 574
Snarking Since:
February 2, 2013

Because my quote was included in many of the comments made by people on this page, I just want to be clear that I'm not saying Poopa is a pedophile. I'm just saying that I tend to get 'vibes' about certain people, probably because of having been abused by more than one family member as a child. And Poopa definitely gives me a bad feeling. But obviously I've never met the man, I'm just going by some of his comments and the behaviour I've seen. He has boundary issues, for sure. And you certainly pick up an undercurrent of anti-women feelings…

February 27, 2013
9:25 am
TearsofaClown
Senior Cat
Meows: 390
Snarking Since:
November 30, 2012

I think rather than feeling like he is a pedophile, I feel like he's a smarmy gay guy who thinks he's still young and cute and can say off the cuff things.  As a culture, I think that we have given (or media has given) gay men the free pass on inappropriate comments.  The "flaming gay friend who makes inappropriate jokes and witty quips" is so glorified in the US on television (and don't get me wrong, I LOVED Queer Eye, Carrie's friend from SATC and also Jack from Will and Grace!).  I think Popps hasn't realized he's not Justin Timberlake circa NSync yet – he thinks he is a young, naturally tan (ha!) cute lil' thang.  He is too damn old to say some of the things he says without getting called out on it, and his ass is being served on Instagram.  You don't talk about the girl scouts dammit! The Poppa Ladies are having a field day. I'm glad they're going to finally see his jerk come out. 

I was a GS for many years, and they yearly cookie sale was never anything but a fundraiser.  GS don't get trained on how to manipulate or twist arms – they're COOKIES for gawd's sake.  They sell themselves to the skinny beeyotches, the catladies, the lowly, the impulsive, and the hungry who come out from the grocery store and have an urge for a Thin Mint. 

And i have no respect for someone who deletes IG posts because it's getting a little hot in the kitchen.  Leave it up!  Take your spanking like a big poppa and learn from it. Now, Kelle taking down Nella's pic / that was warranted (but never happened). Deleting comments to keep your sunshine going – not good.

**The Artist Formerly Known as LOLZ**
February 27, 2013
9:49 am
MrsSnarkypuss
Senior Cat
Meows: 430
Snarking Since:
February 16, 2013

Totally agree LOLz! clap

All these crazy fangirls are constantly telling him wonderful he is, how they want him to adopt them, and he goes to any lengths now to say what he thinks are witty things.  He screwed himself fucking with the Girl Scouts.  He went too far.  He's such an asshole, always tooting his own horn.  Do they forget this tool fucked over Kelle's mother, in a totally fucked up way?  Seems like Kelle is the only one in that family giving him the time of day.  I almost have to wonder if he's helping her financially, so she puts up with his creepy shit.  He seems well off, owns several rental properties in Naples.  I have to wonder if this isn't part of it. 

I'm very surprised he hasn't reared his fake blond head here.  Creep. puke

February 27, 2013
10:00 am
curiouscat
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 581
Snarking Since:
June 8, 2012

MrsSnarkypuss said 

I think he knows he wouldn't be able to hold his own. If he's read here, he knows people are on to him and won't be swayed or cowed by his lectures and say-nothing sermons. He knows  posters here can form arguments without resorting to insults or personal assaults. He knows we can disagree with one another with intelligence. He's out of his league.

February 27, 2013
11:03 am
ShellBelle
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1119
Snarking Since:
October 29, 2012

I was thinking of something.

It's pretty obvious that Poppa is taking advantage of his daughter's appeal in order to garner attention for himself and make himself more important.

And it struck me, isn't it interesting that Kelle is doing essentially the same thing? She's taking advantage of her kids' appeal, posting thousands of pictures of them on the internet long before the children themselves can grow up and exert any control over their own images, in order to gain fame and validation for herself?

After all, take away Kelle's kids and her mahmhood, and what would she have left? Almost nothing. Sure, she's a good photographer…but so are quite literally thousands of others these days. The art of photography has changed completely with the advent of the widely available professional-grade digital camera, Photoshop, and other digital tools. Decent photographic skills are hardly any sort of claim to fame anymore.

Without her kids (and Nella's story in particular), Kelle would be nothing remarkable at all.

She and her poppa are a lot more alike than some people think. They are both fame-ho-ing by using their kids. (And they both have victimized themselves with regrettable fashion choices, unnatural dye jobs, and Three Stooges bangs…but I digress.) If anything, Poppa is a few rungs higher than Kelle on the child exploitation ladder. At least his child is an adult and can have some input into what her parent is putting online. Lainey, Nella, and little Dash don't have that luxury.

February 27, 2013
11:10 am
ams
Cat
Meows: 32
Snarking Since:
October 4, 2012

MrsSnarkypuss said
Totally agree LOLz! clap

All these crazy fangirls are constantly telling him wonderful he is, how they want him to adopt them, and he goes to any lengths now to say what he thinks are witty things.  He screwed himself fucking with the Girl Scouts.  He went too far.  He's such an asshole, always tooting his own horn.  Do they forget this tool fucked over Kelle's mother, in a totally fucked up way?  Seems like Kelle is the only one in that family giving him the time of day.  I almost have to wonder if he's helping her financially, so she puts up with his creepy shit.  He seems well off, owns several rental properties in Naples.  I have to wonder if this isn't part of it. 

That's just their indirect way of kissing K's ass.

February 27, 2013
11:29 am
iovershare
Senior Cat
Meows: 180
Snarking Since:
June 14, 2012

I was a GS for many years, and they yearly cookie sale was never anything but a fundraiser.  GS don't get trained on how to manipulate or twist arms – they're COOKIES for gawd's sake.  They sell themselves to the skinny beeyotches, the catladies, the lowly, the impulsive, and the hungry who come out from the grocery store and have an urge for a Thin Mint. 

As a GS leader, yeah, it is totally about moneymaking for them, but they really do encourage the girls to set goals, how to make change, banking, etc.  I know in my troop we totally use it as a learning opportunity!

February 27, 2013
11:36 am
DorothyGale
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 842
Snarking Since:
November 20, 2012

ShellBelle said
I was thinking of something.

It's pretty obvious that Poppa is taking advantage of his daughter's appeal in order to garner attention for himself and make himself more important.

And it struck me, isn't it interesting that Kelle is doing essentially the same thing? She's taking advantage of her kids' appeal, posting thousands of pictures of them on the internet long before the children themselves can grow up and exert any control over their own images, in order to gain fame and validation for herself?

After all, take away Kelle's kids and her mahmhood, and what would she have left? Almost nothing. Sure, she's a good photographer…but so are quite literally thousands of others these days. The art of photography has changed completely with the advent of the widely available professional-grade digital camera, Photoshop, and other digital tools. Decent photographic skills are hardly any sort of claim to fame anymore.

Without her kids (and Nella's story in particular), Kelle would be nothing remarkable at all.

She and her poppa are a lot more alike than some people think. They are both fame-ho-ing by using their kids. (And they both have victimized themselves with regrettable fashion choices, unnatural dye jobs, and Three Stooges bangs…but I digress.) If anything, Poppa is a few rungs higher than Kelle on the child exploitation ladder. At least his child is an adult and can have some input into what her parent is putting online. Lainey, Nella, and little Dash don't have that luxury.

I see where you are coming from, but the blog itself is the big difference between Kelle and her dad. Some consider her a gifted writer and photographer and she is using her kids and lifestyle as a mother, combined with her blog and photog platforms to craft these stories and persona. Her dad doesn't even have that foundation; he literally JUST has his link to her. She became e-famous on her own; he is skating by on her coattails.

February 27, 2013
12:09 pm
twistygirl99
LOLCat
Meows: 71
Snarking Since:
November 8, 2012

Bizarre fangirl IG quote of the day.  Please tell me one of you posted this for the lulz:

rymina Daaaaaamn…if only I looked that pretty while napping. I bet your armpit smells like roses too.

yikesyikesyikes

February 27, 2013
12:17 pm
CookieButter
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 515
Snarking Since:
January 11, 2013

Oh KellyCach, saying you want to kiss someone's newborn "right on the mouth" isn't cute. It is weird and if you ever attempt this with someone's baby, be prepared for a fat lip or a lawsuit when the baby gets sick. DERANGED fangirl. What voices in these women's heads tell them to say this stuff?

February 27, 2013
12:18 pm
curiouscat
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 581
Snarking Since:
June 8, 2012

twistygirl99 said
Bizarre fangirl IG quote of the day.  Please tell me one of you posted this for the lulz:

rymina Daaaaaamn…if only I looked that pretty while napping. I bet your armpit smells like roses too.'

yikesyikesyikes

Doesn't sound like a fangirl to me, but someone taking the piss. (Good grief, I *hope* it's not a sincere comment from a fangirl!)

↑ Back to Top ↑

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or Get Off My Internets. Get Off My Internets makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Click here for GOMI's Comment Policy.