Young House Love
September 4, 2013
9:24 am
Real Life Taylor Swift Album
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1635
Snarking Since:
February 23, 2012

Why do they insist upon starting every painting entry by informing us that they moved the furniture to the center of the room and covered it with a tarp.  Like, okay, we get it…I don't assume they've just started flinging paint around without properly prepping the room first. 

(Formerly known as Hope It Helps, formerly formerly known as Noodle)
September 4, 2013
9:34 am
Bitch Ass White Woman by Benjamin Moore
Senior Cat
Meows: 203
Snarking Since:
August 14, 2013

Thanks for clarifying that their mattress is about good health and not bed wetting issues.

It struck me, as I laid in my bed of cancer-causing off-gasses last night, that there is a disconnect with YHL when it comes to quality. They spend extra money on an organic mattress, low- and no-VOC paint, and extra time bolting furniture to the walls so Clara can't pull it down, yet only do one coat of paint, start demoing without a plan/removing furniture from the room, and buy furniture that will only last a few years. Looking back at early posts where they're rating contractors, it's like they're sticklers for quality with everyone but themselves. With their emphasis on budget, it also seems like they should be all about buying high-quality furniture ONCE and keeping it as long as possible. 

Anyway. I didn't sleep well because I was lying on a bed of CANCER thinking about why YHL isn't consistent in their drive for quality.  It comes down to laziness, I guess. 

[Formerly theretheyretheir]
September 4, 2013
9:59 am
KAS
Hamprince of Meowtonia
Meows: 5646
Snarking Since:
June 6, 2011

Hope It Helps! (aka Noodle) said
Why do they insist upon starting every painting entry by informing us that they moved the furniture to the center of the room and covered it with a tarp.  Like, okay, we get it…I don't assume they've just started flinging paint around without properly prepping the room first. 

They tore down a ceiling without doing any sort of prep or research.  You can never assume with these people.

September 4, 2013
10:01 am
w_cattite
Senior Cat
Meows: 244
Snarking Since:
July 8, 2013

Hope It Helps! (aka Noodle) said

I would have also assumed they would have moved the furniture out of the way before they started ripping out the ceiling in the frankenporch. Common sense isn't so common anymore…

September 4, 2013
10:12 am
WheresMyCoffee
Feline Porklord
Meows: 4468
Snarking Since:
December 4, 2012

I actually like the idea of the toy closet. Its in a random space, but whatevs…

Its a good idea. Ive been wanting to get a high dresser for sort of the same idea… To keep arts and crafts in the top and some board games, and the bottom drawers can be cars/toys my son plays with a lot that he could reach.

My house only has one closet on the first floor, so I couldn't use a closet, but it would be cute if you had a pantry in your kitchen you didn't use.

Its actually one thing they have done in a LONG time I can take inspiration/ideas from, so kudos for that!

September 4, 2013
10:36 am
Dean Winchester
United States
LOLCat
Meows: 85
Snarking Since:
August 16, 2013

The toy library is a good idea and as a parent of an active toddler, I'd love to have something like that in my house but we don't have the space.

But the first thing I saw was that disgusting grout and tile.  It was seriously the first thing that jumped out at me – can they get on that already?!

September 4, 2013
10:36 am
nora charles
Cat
Meows: 20
Snarking Since:
August 16, 2013

Ack! I just read their about section and it says "moody" chihuahua. So, nothing is safe from that adjective. As far as the toy closet, having a 5 year old myself, I see where this is useful. I have something similar, not in my foyer though. I feel like Sherry could have taken the few extra minutes to make a Toy Check List on the computer and made something more "professional" looking instead of just her blah handwriting. You have a blog that you are getting paid to write and you can't take that extra step and then, omg!, you can make it into a printable for all the other parent readers who want to copy your idea. That would be thorough posting in my mind.

September 4, 2013
10:51 am
Live Journal Bower
Formerly Craig Jig. Hope that helps!
Senior Cat
Meows: 237
Snarking Since:
December 5, 2012

I like the toy closet, although it does seem kind of half-finished. I just think the foyer is a terrible place for it. I know J&S said that they like to have their coats by the garage, but do they have their guests come in from the garage? 

September 4, 2013
test
Feline Porklord
Meows: 2927
Snarking Since:
October 27, 2012

WheresMyCoffee said
I actually like the idea of the toy closet. Its in a random space, but whatevs…

Its a good idea. Ive been wanting to get a high dresser for sort of the same idea… To keep arts and crafts in the top and some board games, and the bottom drawers can be cars/toys my son plays with a lot that he could reach.

My house only has one closet on the first floor, so I couldn't use a closet, but it would be cute if you had a pantry in your kitchen you didn't use.

Its actually one thing they have done in a LONG time I can take inspiration/ideas from, so kudos for that!

I just sent today's post to my husband. We use our coat closet (which is about that same size as theirs) to store all of his computer equipment. It's just piled up in there and drives me crazy. This was a very economical way to convert it to a useful space. Now, he better get on board with me, lol! He doesn't love DIY/organization like John does. I need to practice my DIY skills so I don't have to rely on him helping me :( 

September 4, 2013
imacynicalbitch
Senior Cat
Meows: 146
Snarking Since:
June 27, 2013

Don't people wear coats in Richmond, VA????? 

I guess if a toy closet works for them, just that I'd never do it.  My last house had a front hall WALK-IN closet . . . . I told it my secrets and let it braid my hair.

September 4, 2013
10:54 am
NotMyJam2
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 613
Snarking Since:
March 8, 2013

Anyone care to share pics? sfun_bananasplitsfun_bananachaplinsfun_bananasplit

September 4, 2013
10:56 am
Snarky Librarian
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1419
Snarking Since:
October 27, 2011

imacynicalbitch said
Don't people wear coats in Richmond, VA????? 

I guess if a toy closet works for them, just that I'd never do it.  My last house had a front hall WALK-IN closet . . . . I told it my secrets and let it braid my hair.

I'm assuming that they usually come in and out through the garage, so it makes more sense to store things like that closer to the garage. I can't think of the last time I used my front door for anything besides taking a package from the UPS man or giving candy to trick or treaters. 

September 4, 2013
10:59 am
SherCat
Senior Cat
Meows: 257
Snarking Since:
May 15, 2013

They have another closet a few feet back in the foyer, so if they want to use that one for toys, I can't fault it. I would however have painted the trim and the walls before putting in the shelves. It looks like it still has the original 30 year old paint in there, not the new milky tan or whatever is in the rest of the foyer. 

↑ Back to Top ↑

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or Get Off My Internets. Get Off My Internets makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Click here for GOMI's Comment Policy.