yvoire
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 518
Snarking Since:
July 25, 2013

WheresMyCoffee said

Bagpuss said

theretheyretheir said
Wait, they have a rubber mattress? Are they incontinent? 

Sweet Jesus in the manger…I'm having an asthma attack trying to keep from laughing at work!!

lollollollollollollollol

Holy Hell. Holy Hell. THIS is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whenever people respond to "funny" comments saying they're dying of laughter I always think it's lies because the comments are never actually that funny… But this? Laughed when I read it, laughed each time I saw it quoted and still laughing at the thought of Sherry in adult nappies. Brilliant!

September 3, 2013
11:56 pm
paint it white
Cat
Meows: 26
Snarking Since:
January 31, 2013

I'm calling bullshit on the only-one-coat application. I just painted a few rooms of my home an almost identical color (BM Ocean Floor), got tinted primer that looked exactly like theirs, and my walls absolutely needed two coats. In my case, I had to go back another day with the second coat because I thought one covered and put everything away, but then I realized patches that weren't quite even. With such a dark color, it's inevitable. I'm guessing they're living with patchiness that doesn't show in their overblown photos anyway (I remember KB admitting to this in her dining room not too long ago).

Also, who the hell cares about slightly off-centered windows in a bedroom? How could that be the detail S has to excuse, while the clashing/worn/tasteless rug/headboard/ombré dresser are overlooked?eek

September 4, 2013
12:45 am
zhnjg
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1135
Snarking Since:
July 13, 2012

I think they need to investigate a monochromatic palette. That dresser just doesn't go with the green and the fabric patterns from the last house. Also? I don't get how it's ombré, but whatever. I'm no expert.

If they're doing the dark grey wall paint trend, then I think they need to investigate pale greys and whites along with some natural warm wood. The dark wood–that's looking dated to me.

Wouldn't it have been nice to see, like, surprise! Wallpaper! But no, not out of YHL. Everything looks very Target. Anyway, I hate the colours and if you're going to do grey, then do shades of grey. Please don't throw it on top of every other shade of grimellow imported from H2's living room.

September 4, 2013
12:54 am
Deadarmadillo
LOLCat
Meows: 75
Snarking Since:
August 15, 2012

It does look very Target. The colorblocked dresser (I refuse to call it ombre) doesn't seem like grown-up furniture. The new, expensive dresser seems too small!

Is anyone else tired of the dark gray paint trend? Not just with YHL but everywhere?

September 4, 2013
1:12 am
zhnjg
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1135
Snarking Since:
July 13, 2012

OH, the ombré/colour blocked dresser–I see it now. Good god, there's another one. I thought everyone was referring to the West Elm nightstand as ombré. So with the dark grey walls, this room was just asked to accommodate one more trend…sigh. No, no to the ombré dresser + grey walls. No.

Now I need to go stare at Daniel's kitchen makeover to saturate my eyeballs in something visually appealing.

September 4, 2013
1:19 am
Shabby Chic Chick
Shabby.Chic.Chick @aol.com
Feline Porklord
Meows: 3046
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2012

The dresser is a 'gradient' people. Sheesh. $herdog even said so. It was a secret book project. Shhhhh.

Good lord, please do not say 'shades of grey', Sherry will make some inappropriate bedroom pun with that. 

I am so over this grey trend too. YHL in particular have overused grey.

**Leading By Example**
September 4, 2013
2:48 am
san
Kitten
Meows: 4
Snarking Since:
September 4, 2013
September 4, 2013
6:04 am
Shades of Shadows
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 659
Snarking Since:
July 27, 2012

Their sunroom tile matches the fugly Lino squares in the changing room at my gym (had that realisation while I was getting changed this afternoon & felt the need to share!)

~ The brightest light casts the darkest shadow ~
September 4, 2013
7:10 am
ButterKirby
Senior Cat
Meows: 155
Snarking Since:
November 23, 2012

Here is the thing about their bedroom: I like/don't mind several of the elements, but it's just not WORKING together.

I think they just do not understand basic interior design principles. I do not see any design that I can admire even if it's not my personal taste. 

I think of Sarah Richardson, Canadian designer. I would never want one of her rooms in my house, but what she does is beautifully designed and executed, with balance, scale, and rhythm. We have different taste, but I can enjoy looking at what she's put together and learn from it.

With the Petersiks, it just looks amateur to me. It looks unplanned, unbalanced, with wrong scale, poor pattern mixing, and odd layering. There is so much more to making a room work than something "ties in with" something else and adding a "pop of color." What I learn from them is only what not to do. 

It seems half-hearted and phoned-in. It seems like they are coasting on the tidbits of knowledge picked up over the years, but they have not and don't seem to want to become actual designers.

September 4, 2013
7:52 am
not a fitness robot
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1124
Snarking Since:
April 23, 2013

san said
Hello, first time commenting.

I really think YHL should read this.

http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2013/08/decorating-101-the-biggest-mistake-that-makes-decorating-54-percent-harder-or-put-down-the-paintbrush/

Thank you for that link! I've just spent twenty minutes checking out her blog and I love it.

This made me LOL: "Because we have so much real stuff that needs storing, our office built-in wall can’t be the kind of place that houses a bunch of pretty things but doesn’t actually serve any real purpose except to give you something to dust."

ZING! lol

*** formerly Phoebe Buffet ***
September 4, 2013
7:58 am
test
Feline Porklord
Meows: 3140
Snarking Since:
October 27, 2012

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good with design, but I can't stand that rug. It's too big and makes the room look so much smaller. It doesn't even lay flat in places. I have an amazing rug under my bed (left by the previous owner). It was probably expensive, but it's so thick and feels so good under our feet. I'd replace that rug immediately!

September 4, 2013
8:32 am
bitter
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 691
Snarking Since:
December 10, 2012

Phoebe Buffet said

san said
Hello, first time commenting.

I really think YHL should read this.

http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2013/08/decorating-101-the-biggest-mistake-that-makes-decorating-54-percent-harder-or-put-down-the-paintbrush/

Thank you for that link! I've just spent twenty minutes checking out her blog and I love it.

This made me LOL: "Because we have so much real stuff that needs storing, our office built-in wall can’t be the kind of place that houses a bunch of pretty things but doesn’t actually serve any real purpose except to give you something to dust."

ZING! lol

I'm a fan of Kelly's blog as well. She's pretty funny and admits when something doesn't turn out as planned and when she makes mistakes.

September 4, 2013
8:52 am
RainbowDuck
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 538
Snarking Since:
April 30, 2013

I think they can't decorate big rooms.  That's why House1 worked well for them.  For both House2 (the living room) and House3 (master bedroom), they just don't know how to deal with space planning or furniture planning.  As many others have said, they fail at understanding scale.  

↑ Back to Top ↑

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or Get Off My Internets. Get Off My Internets makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Click here for GOMI's Comment Policy.