Young House Love
June 25, 2013
9:26 am
BassGuitar
Senior Cat
Meows: 417
Snarking Since:
June 27, 2012

I never read their comments, but just went and looked at them. Holy moly, people just throw crap in there without reading the post or lecture them like they are totally new at DIYing.

There was a whole tangent about not microwaving water. She never said she was going to…yet the dangers are discussed repeatedly.

June 25, 2013
9:34 am
bitter
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 688
Snarking Since:
December 10, 2012

kitten heels said

SherCat said
The links to inspiration posts instead of just showing the picture – probably so they can go to the site owners and say "see, look how much traffic we drove to your site, don't you want to advertise?" It is annoying to not just be able to see what they're considering.

The wallpaper stripping – I like the idea of trying and comparing different methods, but seriously, wouldn't you try them all in the same room and pick the best one going forward? So if the next method she tries is OK, but not as good as the first, is she going to keep struggling through it for the sake of the blog and/or to say she gave it the old college try? Also to be any kind of useful to anyone else, I think she needs to give some information as to her walls – plaster or drywall? painted underneath? What works on prepainted plaster is most likely going to be a hot mess on unprepped drywall. 

The wallpaper framing – I do like the idea of saving pieces from each room and preserving them in some way. I wouldn't necessarily hang them up, but I think it is nice if stuff like that stays with the house for future owners who can then add to it too when they're stripping out  whatever J&S do to add their own stamp.

I have heard of other bloggers being SUED for posting a photo of someone else's- even if it was sourced and everything. I think J&S are just being cautious (but yes, it is annoying and I never click through)

Considering this is their livelihood they could always just ask permission but i suspect they are too lazy for that. Or, if it is a blog pic, a lot of times they state whether or not you can use pics. A lot say its fine to use their pics as long as theres a link to the apurce.

June 25, 2013
9:39 am
BassGuitar
Senior Cat
Meows: 417
Snarking Since:
June 27, 2012

What blogs did they link to? I don't see them pal around with too many bloggers bedsides the ones who did that pinterest challenge thing. Maybe they aren't well liked by other bloggers of their stature and wouldn't get permission to post a picture?

June 25, 2013
9:47 am
bitter
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 688
Snarking Since:
December 10, 2012

Wait why aren't you supposed to microwave water? So poor, dont own a microwave, but used to do this all the time.

June 25, 2013
9:59 am
oh yes
Cat
Meows: 25
Snarking Since:
June 18, 2013

bitter said

Wait why aren't you supposed to microwave water? So poor, dont own a microwave, but used to do this all the time.

I think the water can "explode" out of the container because it was boiling but didn't look like it…I had heard to it stir stick or something in the cup if you heat it in the microwave. That said, this phenomenon sort of exists in urban legend status for me.

June 25, 2013
10:10 am
Ditto
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1733
Snarking Since:
October 10, 2012

I figured we'd get some kind of landscaping post this week… but moving a tree?  That's it?

June 25, 2013
10:15 am
Succulent Hunger Games (formerly amdh)
Senior Cat
Meows: 183
Snarking Since:
March 5, 2013

You know what's really bugging me about their posts lately? Most of them could be condensed into a single Instagram. "Look we re-planted our Japanese maple!" "Look, we got a mini fireplace!" "Look, we put in new doorknobs!" Where's the substantial content??

June 25, 2013
10:16 am
Ditto
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1733
Snarking Since:
October 10, 2012

I microwave water all the time.  I've only ever had that bubble up phenomenon happen 1 time…. so I can see why you should take caution.  I guess I like to live dangerously.  rolleyes

June 25, 2013
10:22 am
RainbowDuck
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 528
Snarking Since:
May 1, 2013

Ditto said
I figured we'd get some kind of landscaping post this week… but moving a tree?  That's it?

Yeah, really.  The content is terrible.  They need to BUY something NEW for that house and blog about it–something decor related.  Or a design plan.  SOMETHING that is somehow, even remotely, interesting.

*Although I always skip their landscaping posts… I am just not interested in that.  

June 25, 2013
10:23 am
RedundantUsernameUsername
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 535
Snarking Since:
May 29, 2013

See guys – they didn't do anything in the 8 month period they had their home. Just got a new roof, a new water heater, a new security system, transplanted plants, held magazine shoots – nothing home-related or anything. OF COURSE they are coming across as sincere and authentic and not at all contrived.

June 25, 2013
10:35 am
RainbowDuck
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 528
Snarking Since:
May 1, 2013

RedundantUsernameUsername said
See guys – they didn't do anything in the 8 month period they had their home. Just got a new roof, a new water heater, a new security system, transplanted plants, held magazine shoots – nothing home-related or anything. OF COURSE they are coming across as sincere and authentic and not at all contrived.

What's this magazine shoot?  Was it at the new house? 

June 25, 2013
10:47 am
RedundantUsernameUsername
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 535
Snarking Since:
May 29, 2013

RainbowDuck said

The recent spread in HGTV magazine – unless that content was shot more than a year in advance? I assumed it was 6-8 months prior to the publish date but based that speculation on absolutely nothing whatsoever other than wanting to snark dance

June 25, 2013
10:50 am
InaneCommenter
Senior Cat
Meows: 161
Snarking Since:
March 18, 2013

RainbowDuck said

I guess your post isn't coming across as clear as to which part you're being sarcastic about.  A new roof, a new water heater and a new security system aren't DIY projects that take up a homeowner's time & effort installing.  Yes, you do need to be there to oversee at times, let people in, etc.  But their possessions weren't there, so it's not like there was anything to protect from theft by the workers.

Transplanted plants?  There was one tree that was dug up before the home was shown and was finally planted after move-in (she mentioned they were worried about it surviving the planting because it's summer now).  Maybe that's what you mean… sorry – I can't tell.

They are moving slower now. They can't jump from one major project to the next and their interim posts aren't as interesting as they could be.  The blog isn't what it used to be or can be.  There will be five posts about wallpaper removal.  There will be boring filler posts.  Accept it and tune in once a week or something.  Everyone would like them to blog a certain way.  I don't think they're making the best decisions for their business, but they're their decisions.  Eventually they'll do some reno again, but until then, this is it.  No amount of complaining over here is going to change what goes on over there.

↑ Back to Top ↑

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or Get Off My Internets. Get Off My Internets makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Click here for GOMI's Comment Policy.