10:02 pm
Shabby Chic Chick
Shabby.Chic.Chick @aol.com
Feline Porklord
Meows: 3046
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2012

Bartonellosis said
I can't fault them for haggling. So what if the salesperson works on commission? Car salespeople work on commission and I don't think it's offensive to haggle over the price of a car. Let's face it, if they couldn't split up the table and chairs, they wouldn't have purchased the table = zero commission.

Editing to add that I've never had good luck with color matching. It's a bummer because I like the Benjamin Moore colors, but prefer the price of Behr and Valspar.

Because its a tough economy for some people and haggling their paycheck is not cool. Would anyone like it if their boss haggled their paycheck with them every week? But its ZOMGSHERRYPETERSIK, so its ok. Not everyone gets to sit home on their ass and moderate comments and send nasty emails to people for a living. Some people actually get out there and hustle to make ends meet. And lets face, you dont know if what would have happened if the table and chairs were not split up. Maybe Sherdog would have bought the whole set, Craigslisted the chairs and that poor salesperson would have gotten their rightful commission.  This is not a car, its furniture. Are there any other faux justifications you would like to make? She is just so goddamn entitled its sickening. The way she acted in the store is pathetic. This is what I think and no amount of badgering from you is going to change it. 

**Leading By Example**
June 13, 2013
10:08 pm
Pawley
Senior Cat
Meows: 194
Snarking Since:
June 13, 2013

BassGuitar said . Amazingly, one might actually assume that the place was full of crap because of the name.

Amazingly some people actually know what they're talking about before they spout off.

June 13, 2013
10:25 pm
Shabby Chic Chick
Feline Porklord
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2012

Pawley said

BassGuitar said . Amazingly, one might actually assume that the place was full of crap because of the name.

Amazingly some people actually know what they're talking about before they spout off.

Thats a pretty nasty post for your first post here, Pawley. Hiding? 

**Leading By Example**
June 13, 2013
10:43 pm
haterface
Cat
Meows: 40
Snarking Since:
July 24, 2012

Since we're dishing our own paint faux pas here, we recently built a house and had to *gasp* choose paint colors before other decor choices. I had all my faves picked out through Olympic before we decided to hire out (and thank God for that, it took a 7 man crew five straight days to do which meant hubs and I would have spent the next two months dying over it ourselves) and the crew exclusively uses Sherwin Williams. I had one day to pick new colors but had a trip planned, so I decided to roll the dice and choose them online through swatches then google imaging rooms with those colors. Luckily it worked well for the largest rooms, but I had two huge eyesores. Our master suite was Unique Gray, and it reads 100% lavender. Which isn't awful but it's a far cry from gray! The nursery and kids bath was supposed to be a pale sage green and looks like neon sherbet. I managed to make it work, but man. I suck at choosing colors!

June 13, 2013
11:04 pm
Shabby Chic Chick
Feline Porklord
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2012

haterface said
Since we're dishing our own paint faux pas here, we recently built a house and had to *gasp* choose paint colors before other decor choices. I had all my faves picked out through Olympic before we decided to hire out (and thank God for that, it took a 7 man crew five straight days to do which meant hubs and I would have spent the next two months dying over it ourselves) and the crew exclusively uses Sherwin Williams. I had one day to pick new colors but had a trip planned, so I decided to roll the dice and choose them online through swatches then google imaging rooms with those colors. Luckily it worked well for the largest rooms, but I had two huge eyesores. Our master suite was Unique Gray, and it reads 100% lavender. Which isn't awful but it's a far cry from gray! The nursery and kids bath was supposed to be a pale sage green and looks like neon sherbet. I managed to make it work, but man. I suck at choosing colors!

Its not that you suck at choosing colors, its just really hard to choose them online. We got testers upon testers and painted swatches and swatches and many colors looked very different than they did online. Litchfield Gray from BM reads sort of like a lavender too. I think its soothing. We got it for the living room, ended up going with Toasted Almond (Olympic, I think, mixed in BM), which sort of has a khaki undertone, and looks nothing like it does on the monitor, and I really like it. Used the Litchfield Gray in a bedroom. The store gave us a wrong sample for the master bedroom that we ended up liking better than any of the colors we picked ourselves. I think its Seaglass, by BM and again looks different than it does on my monitor.Looks more like BM Wythe Blue.

I hear ya on the painting, huscat did all of ours and it took a few months. 

**Leading By Example**
June 13, 2013
11:07 pm
Calls It Like I Sees It
Cat
Meows: 22
Snarking Since:
May 22, 2013

SCC, if you don't negotiate for your furniture, you're over paying. Furniture prices are over inflated because they know people will negotiate. Same with cars. I thought this was common knowledge? I don't see anything wrong with negotiating when the industry set things up that way themselves, But you've already said no one will change your mind, so continue over paying, you deserve it. party0006

June 13, 2013
11:14 pm
DEATHSAND
Senior Cat
Meows: 109
Snarking Since:
March 4, 2013

Calls It Like I Sees It said
SCC, if you don't negotiate for your furniture, you're over paying. Furniture prices are over inflated because they know people will negotiate. Same with cars. I thought this was common knowledge? I don't see anything wrong with negotiating when the industry set things up that way themselves, But you've already said no one will change your mind, so continue over paying, you deserve it. party0006

clapclapclap

June 13, 2013
11:19 pm
Shabby Chic Chick
Feline Porklord
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2012

Calls It Like I Sees It said

So, you know where I buy furniture and what I pay for it? Amazing. Which piece of mine is your favorite and what pieces do you think I overpaid on?

**Leading By Example**
June 13, 2013
11:25 pm
Bartonellosis

ShabbyChicChick said

Bartonellosis said
I can't fault them for haggling. So what if the salesperson works on commission? Car salespeople work on commission and I don't think it's offensive to haggle over the price of a car. Let's face it, if they couldn't split up the table and chairs, they wouldn't have purchased the table = zero commission.

Editing to add that I've never had good luck with color matching. It's a bummer because I like the Benjamin Moore colors, but prefer the price of Behr and Valspar.

Because its a tough economy for some people and haggling their paycheck is not cool. Would anyone like it if their boss haggled their paycheck with them every week? But its ZOMGSHERRYPETERSIK, so its ok. Not everyone gets to sit home on their ass and moderate comments and send nasty emails to people for a living. Some people actually get out there and hustle to make ends meet. And lets face, you dont know if what would have happened if the table and chairs were not split up. Maybe Sherdog would have bought the whole set, Craigslisted the chairs and that poor salesperson would have gotten their rightful commission.  This is not a car, its furniture. Are there any other faux justifications you would like to make? She is just so goddamn entitled its sickening. The way she acted in the store is pathetic. This is what I think and no amount of badgering from you is going to change it. 

I'm badgering you? Interesting…

June 13, 2013
11:35 pm
Ryvyan

ShabbyChicChick said

This is just an example of something incredibly silly that has made this thread really unpleasant to read. On the same note, it seems like everyone can haggle except for YHL because it's ZOMGSHERRYPETERSIK. I really don't understand why you are GOMI-ing every single action? 

If I don't need a table but I like the chairs, I would just ASK to buy the damn chairs and for a good price. I don't believe in waste, and I think it's silly to not be prudent with your own money when it is perfectly acceptable to do haggling in specific shops. It's not like they are haggling non-stop and unfairly. The price is a compromise between two parties, and salespersons are not victims in these cases.

ShabbyChicChick said

So, you know where I buy furniture and what I pay for it? Amazing. Which piece of mine is your favorite and what pieces do you think I overpaid on?

Yes, and do you know where YHL bought all their furniture and how much they paid for them? Which ones do you think they underpaid on?

I can't even hate-read this forum anymore. shutupsigh

June 13, 2013
11:35 pm
Calls It Like I Sees It
Cat
Meows: 22
Snarking Since:
May 22, 2013

You're right, I don't know how much you paid for your furniture. But you don't know if the salesperson who sold J&S their furniture worked on commission, if their commission was reduced because they negotiated, or if they were poor and trying to make ends meet like you described. So if you're going to make a bunch of assumptions, I will too. I am all for light hearted snarking, but when you personally attack J&S, or jump all over other posters, it's tiring and not fun.

June 13, 2013
11:46 pm
Shabby Chic Chick
Feline Porklord
Snarking Since:
October 18, 2012

The Fucking Forum Police are unreal.

Get Off My Internets.

**Leading By Example**
June 13, 2013
11:49 pm
chevronh8
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 717
Snarking Since:
April 25, 2013

I guess I shouldn't negotiate when I buy a mattress, a car, a house, or at a flea market.Seriously, tell me more about how to not negotiate in totally normal situations so I can spend more money yadayada.

SCC, seriously, YHL really seems to upset you since you post about 15 different times a day on YHL, maybe you need to take a step back, not worth the anger. Or maybe you are Sherry trying to drive up page views?? hi-103

↑ Back to Top ↑

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or Get Off My Internets. Get Off My Internets makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Click here for GOMI's Comment Policy.