Serenity Now - Insanity Later
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 583
Snarking Since:
December 31, 2012

trainwreck

Watching from the Sidelines said

Serenity Now! said

Total clickbait. They could have run it without the graphic photos and still made a point about miscarriage.

Why should they run it without the photos? Miscarriage, including late term miscarriage, needs to be talked about and yes that includes the images. There is nothing graphic about those images, they are of a baby, perfectly formed who died at 19 weeks. Not displaying them, implies that the subject shouldn't be talked about.

I disagree. Miscarriage gets talked about a lot on Mamamia. Even without the photos the story would still be told.

There was a warning at the beginning of the piece that the story contained graphic photos. Their words. So Mamamia knew not everyone was going to be comfortable viewing them.

January 17, 2014
7:26 am
Expert Hamcat
Snarking Since:
December 31, 2012

Oh fuck. I have no idea how the trainwreck in progress picture got in my post.

Apologies for that.

January 17, 2014
8:24 am
HarbourGirl
LOLCat
Meows: 80
Snarking Since:
April 18, 2013

I don't have a problem with the photos or the article (mush better than any of the trite they produce from their own staff), but I have a major issue with the way they whored it out for clicks. The double post and vague clickbait links on twitter are such gutter tactics.

January 17, 2014
6:08 pm
Expert Hamcat
Snarking Since:
December 31, 2012

Well I guess the publishing of the photo's is slightly a moot point given they were published on news.com.au  a couple of hours before Mamamia ran their story and on the mothers personal blog way back in June 2013.

I wonder if Mamamia saw the news.com.au story and thought we need to run that too.

January 18, 2014
12:27 am
Helga Patacki
Senior Cat
Meows: 314
Snarking Since:
February 6, 2013

HarbourGirl said
I don't have a problem with the photos or the article (mush better than any of the trite they produce from their own staff), but I have a major issue with the way they whored it out for clicks. The double post and vague clickbait links on twitter are such gutter tactics.

Yep, the way they try and sensationalise everything is so pathetic. What did it for me was a post a while ago with a super dramatic headline like "I married the man who made me have an abortion!".

I admit, when I first saw that I naturally assumed someone was writing a piece on their experience of domestic violence and bodily coercion. But no, just turned out that that the writer and her partner went through what a lot of couples go through with an unexpected pregnancy- they considered continuing the pregnancy, thought about their options/situation and ultimately decided they they weren't ready for a child yet. All of which is absolutely fine and would have been an interesting story in itself without the trashy headlines which just ended up attracting a lot of butt hurt pro-lifers. rolleyes

January 21, 2014
9:47 pm
basket
LOLCat
Meows: 86
Snarking Since:
December 13, 2012

There's an interesting comment on the Em Rusciano post. I can't believe it got through moderation.

"My children went to kinder and school with your kids Em, so I can tell you, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head – you didn't make friends because you weren't interested and your disinterest was palpable. Your desire to be "best friends" with your kids (as previously admitted by you) was also a bit off-putting and well, to be honest, just a wee bit creepy. You just looked like you were trying way too hard. And let's face it, we're not talking deepest, darkest Balwyn here – the school was full of musos, artists, hipsters (with and without tatts) and more than the odd gay parent, so you weren't actually that out of place. But maybe that was the problem.
Like many people in the "industry", you have an overwhelming desire to be noticed. By keeping your distance from the other mums you avoid the risk of relating to them,thus avoiding the realisation that, horror, you're not that different after all! By surrounding yourself with sparkly gay men rather than sparkly straight women (and believe me, there were a lot of vibrant, creative, fun women at that school), you are achieving two goals: avoiding competition and avoiding another intimate relationship with a man, both pretty scary stuff to you I'd imagine.
Work towards being comfortable in your own skin and the rest will come."

January 21, 2014
10:27 pm
Expert Hamcat
Snarking Since:
December 31, 2012

basket said
There's an interesting comment on the Em Rusciano post. I can't believe it got through moderation.

"My children went to kinder and school with your kids Em, so I can tell you, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head – you didn't make friends because you weren't interested and your disinterest was palpable. Your desire to be "best friends" with your kids (as previously admitted by you) was also a bit off-putting and well, to be honest, just a wee bit creepy. You just looked like you were trying way too hard. And let's face it, we're not talking deepest, darkest Balwyn here – the school was full of musos, artists, hipsters (with and without tatts) and more than the odd gay parent, so you weren't actually that out of place. But maybe that was the problem.
Like many people in the "industry", you have an overwhelming desire to be noticed. By keeping your distance from the other mums you avoid the risk of relating to them,thus avoiding the realisation that, horror, you're not that different after all! By surrounding yourself with sparkly gay men rather than sparkly straight women (and believe me, there were a lot of vibrant, creative, fun women at that school), you are achieving two goals: avoiding competition and avoiding another intimate relationship with a man, both pretty scary stuff to you I'd imagine.
Work towards being comfortable in your own skin and the rest will come."

Oh, wow.

That comment currently has 46 votes. 

I doubt they will keep it there though.  I am pretty sure Mamamia reads gomi (too many douche canoe references and gif's give it away) so I suspect it will be deleted shortly.

January 22, 2014
12:32 am
Expert Hamcat
Snarking Since:
December 31, 2012

Well, 2 hours later the comment is still there.

It now has 71 up votes and 1 down vote.

January 22, 2014
3:52 am
Helga Patacki
Senior Cat
Meows: 314
Snarking Since:
February 6, 2013

Serenity Now! said
Well, 2 hours later the comment is still there.

It now has 71 up votes and 1 down vote.

One of the interns or whoever is on moderating duty must have it in for Em. Jamila will probably have her destroyed. dance

January 22, 2014
4:46 am
Expert Hamcat
Snarking Since:
December 31, 2012

128 up votes now

January 22, 2014
5:41 am
Mountains

Don't fret Em, anti pop has your back….drool

Can't stand Em, grow up and stop pretending you're still 18 and able to wear those foul outfits. You're an embarrassment.

January 22, 2014
6:41 am
Expert Hamcat
Snarking Since:
December 31, 2012
January 22, 2014
6:42 am
Expert Hamcat
Snarking Since:
December 31, 2012

And still only 1 down vote.

:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

↑ Back to Top ↑

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or Get Off My Internets. Get Off My Internets makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Click here for GOMI's Comment Policy.