February 22, 2013
9:04 pm
Mae Mobley
Senior Cat
Meows: 125
Snarking Since:
November 3, 2012

ratherbeinmelbourne said
See phillyfreeschool.org/admissions where they say tuition is $10,000 per year.

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/phillyfreeschool/ for what that $10K gets you…

I looked at those pics. While I don't have kids personally, my friend jokes that I co-parent her 4th grader with her, which means I spend a lot of time at an elementary school seeing kids when dropping off/picking up her kid. Know what stands out to me about those kids? Aside from one AA boy, and a white girl with reddish hair and beautiful posture, NONE of those kids look very old. The two kids I mention look like they're at about 3rd grade (8 or 9 yrs old). Which tells me kids don't stay past that age, despite their website saying kids up to age 19 can be there. I saw NO jr-high kids at all in those pictures. Parents pull their kids out of that school by upper elementary grades, it seems.

If I were a parent looking at alternative schools for my kid, visiting a school claiming to take all ages/grades but not having representatives of all ages/grades would be a huge red flag to me.

February 22, 2013
9:36 pm
Cat Ladies Detective Agency
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1028
Snarking Since:
January 6, 2012

When the Free Unschool first came up way back this thread I think someone said it best that the photos look like that were taken in a Romanian orphanage. The place is sordid and creepy. Who in the world would leave their child there and pay 10k to do it? Oh, yeah, that's right. Cess-pool and LOLPoet.

Formerly known as Kissmygrits
February 22, 2013
9:50 pm
greek yogurt
hubris and red bull
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1588
Snarking Since:
February 17, 2012

kissmygrits said
When the Free Unschool first came up way back this thread I think someone said it best that the photos look like that were taken in a Romanian orphanage. The place is sordid and creepy. Who in the world would leave their child there and pay 10k to do it? Oh, yeah, that's right. Cess-pool and LOLPoet.

Yeah, I'm so glad that in Cess's world, it's "traumatizing" and "stressful" for Tori to be around her ailing grandmother in their own home, but going to a dank, haunted warehouse with minimal supervision is amazing, wonderful, the best thing ever, PS Tori's public school was godawful because she couldn't draw and color all the livelong day–did C ever tell you that public school sucks! It sucks!

Don't forget to buy art supplies for them! I hear they also need an air conditioner and toilet paper!

February 22, 2013
10:12 pm
JalamityCane

The fattest fat who ever fatted said

ratherbeinmelbourne said

It's a good thing this little girl at the Philly Free School can't fit her tiny hand into the screen/cage around that huge metal fan blade.  Oh wait…

Fuck me to tears.  The Philly Free School looks like a rec center from the 1970s in some Eastern Bloc country.  It looks dirty, dangerous and gross.  In all those pics I saw one magazine, one book and a puzzle.  Why not just take your kid and lock her in the bathroom all day.  It would be safer, cleaner and there would be more reading material.

What's even more impressive is the good judgement the school administration is showing in not only letting the girl touch the fan, but posting it to their flickr. 

February 22, 2013
10:13 pm
mind my vagina
Senior Cat
Meows: 197
Snarking Since:
January 16, 2013

Laura Bendell said

ratherbeinmelbourne said

I looked at those pics. While I don't have kids personally, my friend jokes that I co-parent her 4th grader with her, which means I spend a lot of time at an elementary school seeing kids when dropping off/picking up her kid. Know what stands out to me about those kids? Aside from one AA boy, and a white girl with reddish hair and beautiful posture, NONE of those kids look very old. The two kids I mention look like they're at about 3rd grade (8 or 9 yrs old). Which tells me kids don't stay past that age, despite their website saying kids up to age 19 can be there. I saw NO jr-high kids at all in those pictures. Parents pull their kids out of that school by upper elementary grades, it seems.

If I were a parent looking at alternative schools for my kid, visiting a school claiming to take all ages/grades but not having representatives of all ages/grades would be a huge red flag to me.

That school throws up soverymany red flags for me. That said, I think it only opened a few years ago, so there wouldn't be any older students yet, unless they transferred (I could be wrong though).

Now. That does not explain why those pictures look like an American Apparel campaign shot in a condemned YMCA. Or People's Exhibit A.

the artist formerly known as Cat Hepburn
February 22, 2013
10:36 pm
greek yogurt
hubris and red bull
Feline Porklord
Snarking Since:
February 17, 2012

Cat Hepburn said Now. That does not explain why those pictures look like an American Apparel campaign shot in a condemned YMCA. Or People's Exhibit A.

Oh, the picture-man, Mr. Terry, was so nice, Mom! uhwut

February 22, 2013
11:24 pm
Beezus Christ
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1248
Snarking Since:
August 16, 2012

Comment from the "tough conversation with mom" post from another one of her lapdogs:

Kudos to you. Go eat, drink, and do whatever makes you feel good. Now is the time to nurture–yourself, your husband, and your awesome little girl!

Yes, good advice. Nurture everybody except the one who needs it most…you know, the ELDERLY, SICK one. Oh but wait, it's ok because Cecily says they have "plenty of time".

February 22, 2013
11:31 pm
SweetCheeks
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 804
Snarking Since:
April 1, 2012

BaSiC BiTcH said

Cat Hepburn said Now. That does not explain why those pictures look like an American Apparel campaign shot in a condemned YMCA. Or People's Exhibit A.

omg

But maybe I'm just jealous that couldn't get my kid an electrician's apprenticeship when he was 7.

yikes

February 22, 2013
11:50 pm
The fattest fat who ever fatted
Senior Cat
Meows: 208
Snarking Since:
January 31, 2012

BaSiC BiTcH said

kissmygrits said

Yeah, I'm so glad that in Cess's world, it's "traumatizing" and "stressful" for Tori to be around her ailing grandmother in their own home, but going to a dank, haunted warehouse with minimal supervision is amazing, wonderful, the best thing ever, PS Tori's public school was godawful because she couldn't draw and color all the livelong day–did C ever tell you that public school sucks! It sucks!

Don't forget to buy art supplies for them! I hear they also need an air conditioner and toilet paper!

And tetanus shots!  Lots and lots of tetanus shots.

February 22, 2013
11:50 pm
Beezus Christ
Feline Porklord
Snarking Since:
August 16, 2012

kneel said

I just read the art post on her blog and see that's it's a sponsored post. I know she thinks she's a writer because she types words and they appear on a screen, but if I were the person who hired her to write that, I'd be seriously annoyed. It's just not good. 

God, exactly. Even the LOLPoet, for all his faults–of which there are tons–does know how to turn a phrase now and then. Cecily, like you said, just types.

February 22, 2013
11:55 pm
greek yogurt
hubris and red bull
Feline Porklord
Snarking Since:
February 17, 2012

SweetCheeks said

BaSiC BiTcH said

omg

But maybe I'm just jealous that couldn't get my kid an electrician's apprenticeship when he was 7.

yikes

That little girl may never learn what a circuit actually is, but damn, can she stand on a ladder like a pro!

February 23, 2013
12:02 am
Beezus Christ
Feline Porklord
Snarking Since:
August 16, 2012

Binky said

ratherbeinmelbourne said
I posted this this morning in response to the Maura/Laura comments. Can't believe it's still there.

I can't believe how un-Cecily that response is. And that she didn't delete it immediately. I think she thinks her sponsors/employers are watching.

Naw, Cecily was replying to Laura and Maura in that response, not ratherbeinmelbourne. Methinks she would/will not be so gentle should she choose to answer that awesome comment.

February 23, 2013
11:37 am
Snarky McSnarkypants
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 928
Snarking Since:
April 2, 2012

Cat Hepburn said

Laura Bendell said

ratherbeinmelbourne said

That school throws up soverymany red flags for me. That said, I think it only opened a few years ago, so there wouldn't be any older students yet, unless they transferred (I could be wrong though).

It doesn't really work that way. When a school opens, they take all eligible students. You don't have to start as a kindergartener and work your way up.

↑ Back to Top ↑

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or Get Off My Internets. Get Off My Internets makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Click here for GOMI's Comment Policy.