A Cup of Jo
April 14, 2014
9:26 pm
BunnyBingo
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1833
Snarking Since:
April 29, 2012

I am not comfortable with the baby in bathroom for a number of reasons – safety, the fact the room would be pretty cold and just being away from any comforting bedroom things.

Yes, each to their own but I would rather keep baby in our bedroom than resort to that.

April 15, 2014
12:38 am
JaggedLittlePill
Cat
Meows: 36
Snarking Since:
April 9, 2014

I just figured why this Jo + Caroline industrial complex irks me so much, after trolling their blogs. It's because they operate under the belief that they deserve to make a living – and be adored – be being in their own minds, adorable. That the most superficial minutiae of their existence should be studied and encapsulated and then, be the basis for some celebrity. This is their contribution to the world. Despite the fact even that Caroline is Ivy League-educated, their writing is completely devoid of any traces of intellectualism or awareness of the wider world, except at the most populist level (e.g. Mad Men, wanting to see a Wes Anderson movie, feel good-isms from the NYT for good measure) in order to be as unoffensive as women as possible. They have been given every opportunity and instead of anything, teaching, science, social work, medicine, the arts, real journalism – they have made entitled careers for themselves as models of lipstick shades in selfies. I won't even get started with Caroline's "feminist" rants on her blog – including asides of how Instagram pictures of engagement make her feel lacking. I'm so sorry fortunate white girl with the means to quit a job and live with a disposable income on co-blogging. Maybe reading the news once in a blue moon would make you feel better about that said predicament. Yet, for some reason they have a following. And see, I respect the hell out of say, Tavi who had built an online, feminist magazine, rooting in being an uplifting, authentic, challenging place to explore art, movies, music, politics, sexuality, etc.

End rant.

April 15, 2014
1:28 am
A Cup of No
Senior Cat
Meows: 157
Snarking Since:
April 10, 2014

^^^ I think a lot of people have wide expectations for blogs, especially one with such a big audience like Jo's. I don't mind if the blog is entirely superficial, it just has to be good.

Anton in the bathroom: I'm mostly shocked that the buffer pillow that goes on the floor, next to the toilet is from Dwell and is like $100. YOU DONT GET TO HAVE A $100 BUFFER PILLOW FOR THE TOILET AND KEEP YOUR BABY IN THE BATHROOM.

April 15, 2014
4:07 am
potatoes
Senior Cat
Meows: 123
Snarking Since:
September 26, 2013

I cannot believe she has gone down the bathroom baby route! It's not quite as bad as That Wife as she had a whole spare room that she chose to use for her computers instead, but it's still crazy. I wouldn't judge anyone who did this if they were struggling to make ends meet and literally had no other option, but that doesn't apply here. I refuse to give her pageviews – does she explain why Anton can't sleep in Toby's room? Or stay in their room? Why did they move somewhere that didn't have enough room for them all? I know NYC is expensive, but there are other buildings in other areas. I just can't believe that someone so anal and obsessed with outward appearances would think this is a-ok. It's so un-Joanna.

April 15, 2014
8:32 am
Backseat Blogger
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 604
Snarking Since:
September 10, 2013

potatoes said
I cannot believe she has gone down the bathroom baby route! It's not quite as bad as That Wife as she had a whole spare room that she chose to use for her computers instead, but it's still crazy. I wouldn't judge anyone who did this if they were struggling to make ends meet and literally had no other option, but that doesn't apply here. I refuse to give her pageviews – does she explain why Anton can't sleep in Toby's room? Or stay in their room? Why did they move somewhere that didn't have enough room for them all? I know NYC is expensive, but there are other buildings in other areas. I just can't believe that someone so anal and obsessed with outward appearances would think this is a-ok. It's so un-Joanna.

According to Jo, their bedtimes and wakeup times are staggered 1 hour apart and they don't want them to wake each other up at night.  idontknow

A Cup of No (lol!), I also noticed that Dwell pillow and cringed.  I wouldn't put a $1 pillow next to the toilet.

I suspect Anton doesn't really sleep in the bathroom and this is just part of her hinting at moving.

April 15, 2014
9:13 am
cookieface
LOLCat
Meows: 76
Snarking Since:
June 10, 2013

Living in NYC and having had a baby in a very small apartment, I can see this being a good (or desperate) solution. What I don't understand is the pillow next to the toilet when there is very clearly a bunch of room for the crib to be. It doesn't have to be right next to the toilet, right? In the picture where Joanna is putting him down (and his face is like, Oh shit, this again?) there seems to be space on the other side of the crib. I'm so confused. 

April 15, 2014
9:53 am
would you dare?
Cat
Meows: 20
Snarking Since:
December 4, 2013

I think it was a photo op. However many months of the absolute laziest affiliate posts and link roundups you can imagine and every once in awhile she'll throw us a bone in the vein of, "teehee! Here's a behind-the-scenes peek at my chaotic, messy life! Isn't it adorable how I don't have my shit together at all? Would you dare let your baby sleep in a bathroom?"

If it wasn't staged for the blog, Jo, WTF is wrong with you? I understand doing whatever it takes to make your kids comfortable and happy but somehow I don't think making your baby sleep in a bathroom so you can move into a luxury building in a pricy downtown neighborhood qualifies…

April 15, 2014
1:32 pm
skinfolk
Senior Cat
Meows: 451
Snarking Since:
June 10, 2013

WTF Jo? This sleeping in the bathroom thing is possibly the weirdest thing I've EVER read on this blog. I've heard of people doing this on vacation, when you're staying in a hotel, but as a regular solution in your house? For one, bathrooms don't get good air circulation. Also, I've lived in similar new-construction high-rises in the city and the bathrooms were always noisy from other units due to the placement of air ducts and lack of insulation. Third, they're cold. Poor Anton in just a onesie.

I once had a situation where a third-floor toilet spontaneously started overflowing in the middle of the night due to a sewer pipe issue and I didn't discover it until I went into my baby's room at 6 AM and saw water pouring from the ceiling. Maybe that's an extremely rare situation, but I would be scared about that.

They HAVE to be on the brink of a move, right? Hence the not wanting to bunk the two boys together (in spite of a big splashy designer reno showing all us plebes how easy and glamorous it is to have a room for two "little dudes") but needing to get the baby out of their bedroom. Just in case he wakes up during one of their middle-of-the-night sleep-sexing situations.

Is she a joke? I think about what it would be like to know her and I just can't imagine her as a real person.

April 15, 2014
1:48 pm
skinfolk
Senior Cat
Meows: 451
Snarking Since:
June 10, 2013

Additionally, since Jo linked to a QA with her in the sleep post, am I the only one who gets bad vibes from her friend Leigh (@marvelouskiddo)? I used to follow her blog, I think she stopped it or made it private, but now I follow her on IG.

I am not snarking on attachment parenting, extended BFing, co-sleeping etc. To each their own. But Leigh is so in your face about the BFing thing, so many pics literally of her boob with a kid hanging off. It just seems so needlessly exhibitionist, especially considering it is a moment of comfort and safety for the child.

Great that you BF your 2 year old, but why do you need to plaster these pics all over IG? Over and over again? Are you dying to get reported so you can make a huge uproar over the injustice toward breastfeeding mothers? And everything tagged #normalizenursing or whatever. Uh, women have been breastfeeding since the dawn of time. It IS normal. What's not normal is your compulsion to document it on a public social media feed.

Also her post about her family of 5 co-sleeping in the bed. Again, no issue with co-sleeping in general but she makes a comment insinuating her husband doesn't like it b/c he wants intimacy with her (he has to sleep on a twin bed on the floor, with a 5 year old). She thinks that's "sweet" but she gets physical touch all day from the kids so she has no need for that. Just doesn't strike me as the healthiest balance, if she's making derisive comments like that.

April 15, 2014
2:07 pm
The Derploon
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1012
Snarking Since:
April 18, 2013

skinfolk said
Additionally, since Jo linked to a QA with her in the sleep post, am I the only one who gets bad vibes from her friend Leigh (@marvelouskiddo)? I used to follow her blog, I think she stopped it or made it private, but now I follow her on IG.

I am not snarking on attachment parenting, extended BFing, co-sleeping etc. To each their own. But Leigh is so in your face about the BFing thing, so many pics literally of her boob with a kid hanging off. It just seems so needlessly exhibitionist, especially considering it is a moment of comfort and safety for the child.

Great that you BF your 2 year old, but why do you need to plaster these pics all over IG? Over and over again? Are you dying to get reported so you can make a huge uproar over the injustice toward breastfeeding mothers? And everything tagged #normalizenursing or whatever. Uh, women have been breastfeeding since the dawn of time. It IS normal. What's not normal is your compulsion to document it on a public social media feed.

Also her post about her family of 5 co-sleeping in the bed. Again, no issue with co-sleeping in general but she makes a comment insinuating her husband doesn't like it b/c he wants intimacy with her (he has to sleep on a twin bed on the floor, with a 5 year old). She thinks that's "sweet" but she gets physical touch all day from the kids so she has no need for that. Just doesn't strike me as the healthiest balance, if she's making derisive comments like that.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THAT INSTAGRAM

HER BOOB IS JUST OUT THERE. LIKE THE WHOLE BOOB. 

Not coy/modest nursing photos like what Jo and others have posted, with baby cradled close and most things obscured; like, her boob is LAYING ON THE BED while her TWO-YEAR-OLD CHILD FEEDS HER/HIMSELF (can't tell). And there are MULTIPLE pictures like this.

Sorry for the caps overload. But has she thought about how traumatized her kid is gonna be someday when his/her friends look up Mommy's instagram and see these graphic photos? I get that she finds nursing her child to be beautiful, but some things just DO NOT NEED TO BE SHARED ON THE INTERNET. 

When will people learn this???

April 15, 2014
2:18 pm
Starla
Senior Cat
Meows: 422
Snarking Since:
December 18, 2013

I just looked at this chick's IG as well and felt an irrational amount of hatred for how much she's betraying her child's trust there. It is fine to advocate for something you believe in, but make it YOUR battle. Not your child's. I felt that way about the Time magazine mom too. Preach all you want but when your kids are not old enough to even fathom consenting to it…christ. The therapy that blogger kids are going to need angry

April 15, 2014
2:51 pm
...and then, Sparkles for everyone!
Senior Cat
Meows: 256
Snarking Since:
May 8, 2012

Hi, my name is _____, and my baby sleeps in the bathroom too.
I've been wanting to confess this in the That Wife thread, but haven't had a chance to. Anyway, we have two bedrooms and two kids. The kids are very light sleepers. If they slept in one room neither one would get any sleep. Once the baby outgrew the bassinet we decided to put the crib in our master bathroom. The kids go to sleep around the same time, but one is still nursing throughout the night and the other one will wake up screaming if someone so much as farts within hearing. True story.
The bathroom has a vent system, so the air is fresh, and it's actually warmer than our own bedroom due to our weird heating system. Also, we have stopped using the bathroom since the baby began to sleep there– no using the toilet, no showering. We don't even brush our teeth there any longer. We're hoping to transition the kids into sleeping in one bedroom sometime in the next few months, but for the time being we too have a "bathroom baby."
idontknow

April 15, 2014
5:25 pm
Hair and Babynaming Genius
Senior Cat
Meows: 168
Snarking Since:
June 19, 2013

…not related to anything anyone is talking about right now, but…

OH MY GOD, THERE WAS A PERSON OF COLOR FEATURED ON CUP OF JO!

Amazing! 

I didn't know she knew non-whites existed (see also: "curly" hair tutorials)

ETA: OMG, there have been two in the past week. Is this Caroline's influence? If so, you go, Caroline.

↑ Back to Top ↑

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or Get Off My Internets. Get Off My Internets makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Click here for GOMI's Comment Policy.