Mrs. Poops
Cat
Meows: 27
Snarking Since:
November 23, 2011

walleyed said

oatrunner said

RunEatRepeat September 10, 2012 at 11:17 am

Love that baby hat! I kinda want one for myself…

Posted to KERF today.

Ungh. She and Ben just accepted money from his parents in order to celebrate his birthday (aren't they both nearly thirty? Isn't that a little old to be celebrating your birthday with presents from your parents and a trip to Disneyland?) and now they want to have their own baby? No! Neither one of them seems particularly qualified to be responsible for another human life.

Re: Monica's honesty about bingeing on enchilada casserole at 8pm: I think what people are snarking on is not Monica's eating or being honest about her eating. It's how willfully oblivious she seems to be to the fact that eating this way is preventing her from losing weight, which is the stated objective of her blog.

I think she meant she wanted a baby hat, not a baby.

September 10, 2012
8:39 pm
walleyed

A book is totally different than a wad of cash. I'm sick of 20- and 30-somethings turning their birthdays into lavish, weeklong affairs and demanding tribute money and gifts. Seriously, I turned 26. I had dinner at my parents' house and my mom made a cake. My friends bought me a drink afterwards. It was fine. It wasn't like some great feat to make it to 26 as a healthy middle-class white woman in the developed world. Get over it.

September 10, 2012
8:59 pm
fauxga
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 802
Snarking Since:
December 29, 2011

O said

MeggyzNailz said

PandemoniumFury said

O said
ugh we do we have to analyze everything monica eats and then criticize other bloggers for not eating enough… i like monica and she does have an issue with eating i guess but still, pretty sure everyone looks around for food at their parents house! i've been doing that since college. obviously it doesn't help weight loss goals, but she clearly knows that. nothing to snark about. not WKing either. just seems like we are always pointing out how bloggers and lying/covering things up and she is just admitting everything and we are still complaining about it… 

Agreed.  I prefer bloggers with actual opinions, and I like honesty even if it makes the blogger look 'bad.'  I didn't think that Monica's humour might be a bluff to hide fertility problems, and that was very insensitive of me.  I guess I just feel sorry for Ben sometimes but really I don't know the dynamic of their relationship.  Give me an honest person any day over these closet-disordered 'health' gurus though.

I'm not trying to be rude but maybe this isn't for you then.  Maybe her blog is for you?

Re: O.  You don't have to analyze monica or critize others.

well the thing is i comment on many other bloggers and snark on them… i just don't think someone being honest is worth snarking… 

Hey White Knight, you're late for your jousting match at Castle Who Gives A Shit!

September 10, 2012
9:07 pm
Lindsay Weir
Feline Porklord
Meows: 3285
Snarking Since:
December 5, 2011

walleyed said

A book is totally different than a wad of cash. I'm sick of 20- and 30-somethings turning their birthdays into lavish, weeklong affairs and demanding tribute money and gifts. Seriously, I turned 26. I had dinner at my parents' house and my mom made a cake. My friends bought me a drink afterwards. It was fine. It wasn't like some great feat to make it to 26 as a healthy middle-class white woman in the developed world. Get over it.

I often wonder how many of these adults ask, or "demand" these birthday celebrations or vacations. My guess is they've been spoiled and fawned over their whole life and their parents have always treated them this way. Their parents may even insist on it now. It probably gives the kids an "excuse" to hang out with their parents. The parents pay for a way to spend time with their kids. And I say that not just about Monica, but a general statement. If my mom had the money, she'd certainly do the same for my brother's family and mine.

September 10, 2012
9:58 pm
SaneLogic

Bananana said

MeggyzNailz said

PandemoniumFury said

O said
ugh we do we have to analyze everything monica eats and then criticize other bloggers for not eating enough… i like monica and she does have an issue with eating i guess but still, pretty sure everyone looks around for food at their parents house! i've been doing that since college. obviously it doesn't help weight loss goals, but she clearly knows that. nothing to snark about. not WKing either. just seems like we are always pointing out how bloggers and lying/covering things up and she is just admitting everything and we are still complaining about it… 

Agreed.  I prefer bloggers with actual opinions, and I like honesty even if it makes the blogger look 'bad.'  I didn't think that Monica's humour might be a bluff to hide fertility problems, and that was very insensitive of me.  I guess I just feel sorry for Ben sometimes but really I don't know the dynamic of their relationship.  Give me an honest person any day over these closet-disordered 'health' gurus though.

I'm not trying to be rude but maybe this isn't for you then.  Maybe her blog is for you?

But do you see how saying that is EXACTLY the same as " If you don't like my blog don't read it?" Except for now it's " If this is too snarky for you maybe you should leave this thread". People do have differing opinions, and not everyone who thinks something isn't particularly snark-worthy is a WK, just like a person who criticises a blogger isn't a fat, jelly, ham-eating basement dweller. 

I disagree with soooo many things in this thread and on GOMI in general, and I still read it and voice my opinion. It doesn't mean that I am a zomg Huge Monica fan or a WK.  I do think that some people post shit that is borderline insane. But hey, that's just my opinion and I am just as entitled to it as they are to theirs.

If I wanted to read twenty pages of the same shit, I would read the comments on Kerf. Basically saying that maybe Gomi or this thread or whatever isn't for someone is really not that different from a blogger telling everyone who may disagree with her to stop reading. 

I think the problem with the OP here is that she is suggesting what is appropriate snark for all of us. Rather than being uncomfortable with it herself and telling us all why she thinks the way she does, she's suggesting that none of us should snark on Monica because she feels uncomfortable with those things being snarked on. No, O, you don't think that stuff is snark-able, but some people do. Tell us why YOU think that way and why YOU think that's a justifiable opinion, rather than telling us how we should snark and what is permissible GOMI material.

September 10, 2012
10:06 pm
HLBitch
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1394
Snarking Since:
November 20, 2011

pdx said

walleyed said

I often wonder how many of these adults ask, or "demand" these birthday celebrations or vacations. My guess is they've been spoiled and fawned over their whole life and their parents have always treated them this way. Their parents may even insist on it now. It probably gives the kids an "excuse" to hang out with their parents. The parents pay for a way to spend time with their kids. And I say that not just about Monica, but a general statement. If my mom had the money, she'd certainly do the same for my brother's family and mine.

Honestly, I think big birthday celebrations are fine. My family is HUGE on birthdays, and not just for the youngest in the family (I'm in my twenties, and I'm the youngest). I spoil them on their birthdays- we all just generally make a big fuss over everybody else's birthday in the family. It's fun. I don't see how this is a big deal.

September 11, 2012
12:22 am
walleyed

HLBitch said

pdx said

walleyed said

Honestly, I think big birthday celebrations are fine. My family is HUGE on birthdays, and not just for the youngest in the family (I'm in my twenties, and I'm the youngest). I spoil them on their birthdays- we all just generally make a big fuss over everybody else's birthday in the family. It's fun. I don't see how this is a big deal.

There's nothing wrong with hanging out with your parents or using your birthday as an occasion to have a party with your family. Likewise with thoughtful gifts, like a book. What I object to is turning your birthday into a monthlong affair in which you shake down your parents for money/plane tickets and insist that every meal you have with friends within that month around your birthday is an extension of your birthday celebration (which neither Ben nor Monica did. I'm projecting my own experiences with my peer group.) I stand by my original statement that if you can't afford a nice meal out on your birthday and are accepting cash from your parents to pay for it, then you are probably not ready to care for a child.

September 11, 2012
7:18 am
hordol
LOLCat
Meows: 50
Snarking Since:
September 23, 2011

Bananana said

MeggyzNailz said

PandemoniumFury said

O said

But do you see how saying that is EXACTLY the same as " If you don't like my blog don't read it?" Except for now it's " If this is too snarky for you maybe you should leave this thread". People do have differing opinions, and not everyone who thinks something isn't particularly snark-worthy is a WK, just like a person who criticises a blogger isn't a fat, jelly, ham-eating basement dweller. 

I disagree with soooo many things in this thread and on GOMI in general, and I still read it and voice my opinion. It doesn't mean that I am a zomg Huge Monica fan or a WK.  I do think that some people post shit that is borderline insane. But hey, that's just my opinion and I am just as entitled to it as they are to theirs.

If I wanted to read twenty pages of the same shit, I would read the comments on Kerf. Basically saying that maybe Gomi or this thread or whatever isn't for someone is really not that different from a blogger telling everyone who may disagree with her to stop reading. 

Coming out of lurkdom to say I agree. The reason why I just lurk and don't post is because although I am as aggravated towards these bloggers as everyone else on GOMI, I know I would be ripped apart. Some things bloggers do are just ridiculous and insane, but some of the GOMI responses are just as asinine. I also wholeheartedly agree that telling someone not to read this thread if it bothers them is equivalent to a blogger telling you not to read their blog if you don't like it. Don't throw that command out if you're not willing to follow through with it in your own way. People also get pissed when bloggers delete comments that they don't like, but when someone comes on here and makes a comment that you disagree with people get all on their case and tell them to go WK somewhere else. How is that any different from the WKs on the blogs telling the haters to go hate someone else? The hypocrisy in this forum is sickening. All I'm saying is to allow people to have an opinion different from yours. You can hate as much as you want but if someone wants to bring in a different voice then they have every right to do that.

Back to lurkdom now.

September 11, 2012
8:22 am
funnyfunfun
Feline Porklord
Meows: 1207
Snarking Since:
February 6, 2012

I think it depends on the blogger as well.  Some (bloggers) are just absurd and there is no "controversy" over it–it's too black & white if you will.  Meggy comes as a main example of that.  With Meggy it's just–Know, I can't with you.

Someone like RER is different–she is very inconsistent with her diet and exercise that it's almost difficult to figure out of she has eaten a watermelon, if she is actually training.  I also think there are some legit WKs for Monica which is fine, too, but I would think this forum, with the vast array of opinions, would offer the opportunity for people to have valid discussions with different perspectives.  Bear in mind people post from home, work, the bus/train so there are limits to how much we can elaborate on a point at a given moment.  I know I am guility of just putting my thoughts up at times without elaborating when I should have subsequently causing an issue that we may all be on the same page about.

I don't get mad when someone posts about another woman being a cunt despite the fact I am not a fan of the word–someone else may use it freely, be uber busy, or whatever but I understand the poster is frustrated and speaking up in a manner in which I am not there.  I'm not going to police others because that is not my role on this board.  I don't think it's a lot of peoples and I don't think its appropriate to attempt it if only because it distracts from the point of the board.

September 11, 2012
9:19 am
fauxga
Expert Hamcat
Meows: 802
Snarking Since:
December 29, 2011

Really, the hypocrisy? Show me where people on GOMI make a full-time living out of posting their Lean Cuisines on salad leaves and call themselves nutritionists. 

I don't mind if anyone has a different opinion on these forums. I DO mind when users, like the one above, come here over and over and say "You can't say that, it's not right." You keep your boundaries and I'll keep mine, but you aren't going to change anyone's minds by appointing yourself the Snark Police.

Maybe Monica is in a no-win situation with her blog and posting her food — but she created it in the first place by acting like her eating problem is fun and quirky. "Oh, tee hee, I ate everything in the fridge again!" trivializes real disordered eating, and instead of saying "Yeah, I should work on this," she doubles down with How Many Calories Are In A Watermelon? That attitude — not that she's the only one — helps contribute to the picture that binge eating is fun and normal and not something that people might have a problem with.

On the other hand, I personally love that she wants to post all her food on Instagram because I don't want to see it. Clearly posting all her meals on her blog hasn't worked for her as far as accountability, and I don't think listing them out at the end of a post will either, so hopefully she'll find something that WILL work. 

September 11, 2012
10:01 am
grimalkin
LOLCat
Meows: 54
Snarking Since:
January 3, 2012

"All I'm saying is to allow people to have an opinion different from yours."

So it's irritating when people start up with the passive-aggressive stuff, "this forum", "we", instead of just engaging the damn person they've got a problem with. Instead of going face-to-face on a topic, they try to take control of what is or is not allowable on the forum as a whole.

It's not mature, it's manipulative. And if we're talking about trying to shut down anyone with different opinions, that's exactly what these intend.

September 11, 2012
11:18 am
walleyed

fauxga said
Really, the hypocrisy? Show me where people on GOMI make a full-time living out of posting their Lean Cuisines on salad leaves and call themselves nutritionists.

+1 completely. Being cruel on an anonymous internet forum is not comparable to creating a public web site to document everything you eat and how much you run and then getting defensive and angry when people point out that they may not be helping you get towards what you claim is your goal.

September 11, 2012
11:26 am
JudgementalSnarker
Hamprince of Meowtonia
Meows: 5698
Snarking Since:
September 23, 2011

That is quite the trough of watermelon.

:

—  —

— Match —

—  —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

↑ Back to Top ↑

Opinions expressed by forum commentators are their own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of the site admins or Get Off My Internets. Get Off My Internets makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this forum and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. Click here for GOMI's Comment Policy.